1. "Real professionals aren’t compliant; real professionals are committed."
- Bill Wiersma, The Power of Professionalism: The Seven Mind-Sets that Drive Performance and Build Trust
3. "At the time thousands of Africans were dying over control of diamonds sold in shopping malls around the world, U.S president Bill Clinton was impeached for perjury, NATO began bombing Yugoslavia, and everyone else was preparing for digital disaster from Y2K"
- Greg Campbell, Blood Diamonds: Tracing the Deadly Path of the World's Most Precious Stones
5. "Which do you want to be: a proficient manager or a Leader of Character? The first creates compliant employees. The second leads committed followers!"
- Dave Anderson, Becoming a Leader of Character: 6 Habits That Make or Break a Leader at Work and at Home
6. "New Zealanders remain polite,hard-working, superficially cheerful, and unnervingly compliant and complaisant. And we remain dismissive of anyone who makes a fuss about anything"
- Gordon William McLauchlan, The Passionless People Revisited: New Zealanders in the 21st Century
7. "The history of American wars is littered with propaganda, falsehoods, a compliant media, the manipulation of patriotic sentiment—everything we’ve seen recently, we’ve seen before. Time and again."
- Murray Polner, We Who Dared to Say No to War: American Antiwar Writing from 1812 to Now
8. "This is a deal that invites passivity, obedience, and conformity. The safest course, the way to ensure being left alone, is to remain quiet, unthreatening, and compliant."
- Glenn Greenwald, No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden
9. "It’s going to be okay, Jacinda. I angled my head. So I won’t be punished? I convinced them that you wanted to return. I told them you’re eager to fall back into pride life. That you’ll behave yourself and be more compliant. His top lip curls faintly, and I remember what he told me in Chaparral when he found me, that he liked me because I was different from everyone else here. Now he wants me to be the same. I inhale sharply through my nose. Compliant. Submissive. Meek. Biddable. Do I even have it in me? Compliant? Jacinda? Az giggles, unaware of the tension. They bought that?"
- Sophie Jordan, Vanish